Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dog vs. shredder incident raises safety concerns

By Dwayne McLemore
The Sun News

A Socastee resident is spreading a safety message d after her dog lost part of his tongue in a paper shredder accident.

Sandy Clarke's boxer Cross lost "three or four chunks" of his tongue in late February when he stuck it into a shredder in her home office.

"The dog was screaming," said Clarke, who ran out and yelled for her husband after Cross became entangled. "I woke my daughter up screaming. It was very traumatic."

The incident lasted 10-15 minutes, with Cross finally being freed once the shredder was put in reverse instead of just pulling him out.

"I didn't want more damage done," Clarke said.

The number of shredder accidents - usually involving small children - has caught the attention of national advocates who are now working to make safety standards better.

That's good news to Clarke, whose dog is still healing a month after the incident.

"I'm trying to get the word out. People need to be aware," she said. "[Shredders] need to be unplugged or there needs to be new safety devices on them." Read Full Story


Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]